The Rob Carr Color to B&W Conversion Technique in GIMP
November 22, 2008 Comments Off on The Rob Carr Color to B&W Conversion Technique in GIMP
Design by Fire • Santorini in black and white (scroll down to the The Rob Carr Color to B&W Conversion Technique).
While I was cleaning out Evernote I came across this method for converting photos to black and white and decided to try applying it using GIMP:
1. Convert to LAB colour: Colors » Components » Decompose… set Color model to LAB
2. Image mode will already be Grayscale
3. Highlight Lightness (L) Layer and switch to Channels tab. Ctrl-Click on thumbnail » Channel to Selection
4. Select » Invert
4. With the selection still active, convert the image to RGB color, using Image » Mode » RGB.
5. GIMP doesn’t have Adjustment Layers so what I did turn off the visibility of the A and B layers Ctrl-Click » [Create New Layer from Visible](http://www.flickr.com/groups/gimpusers/discuss/72157609437810333/)
6. Edit » Fill with a rich, dark colour
7. Adjust the opacity, levels and/or curves as needed